The castle of Lanhoso, situated at the northern entrance of the village of Póvoa de Lanhoso, is one of the most imposing Portuguese castles, and a highlight in the regional tourist circuit. It is built on top of the Monte do Pilar – the largest granite monolith in the country -, isolated in the division of the valleys of the Ave and Cávado rivers, within its walls was built a sixteenth century sanctuary, using the very stone of the ancient walls. At the half slope, on its access, the remains of an ancient Romanized settlement can be appreciated. Tradition has it that the Countess Teresa de Leão, the mother of D. Afonso Henriques (1112-1185), has taken refuge in this castle on two occasions.
Published on: 2019-02-27 - Filed under: Region - Highlights